[Baa-ebulletin 00534] BAA Historical Section – Section Meeting - Reminder

BAA electronic bulletins service baa-ebulletin at britastro.org
Tue Nov 23 09:04:34 GMT 2010

BAA Historical Section – Section Meeting - Reminder

Date:     Saturday 27th November 2010

Venue:   The Institute of Astronomy, Madingley Rd, Cambridge, CB3 0HA.

Time:     10:30-18:00  Registration from 10:00 onwards

Cost:      £13.00 (lunch buffet included) / £7.00 Pounds (no buffet).
Payment on the door.

Theme:    'Twentieth-Century Astronomy'

Program:

10:00-10:30 Registration

10:30   Welcome & Introduction

10:45   Bob Marriott, 'Mary Evershed: First Director of the Historical Section'

11:45   Jeremy Shears, 'Felix de Roy: A Life in Variable Stars'

12:30-13:50 Buffet Lunch

13:50   Lee Macdonald, 'The Isaac Newton Telescope'

14:50   Jay Tate, 'Saving Science Heritage'

15:50   Jacqueline Mitton, ' Maria Mitchell, America's First Female
Astronomer, and her Vassar College Legacy'

16:35-17:00 Break

17:00   Simon Mitton, 'Sir Fred Hoyle'

18:00   Close

We will have display stands for the BAA and Society for the History of
Astronomy; plus poster displays on Fred Hoyle, The Great Melbourne
Telescope, The Catts Telescope and New Zealand Amateur Astronomy.

We are also hoping to visit the historic Northumberland Refractor
(with which Challis and Adams searched in vain for Neptune) during the
lunch break.

We look forward to seeing you!

Section Director: Mike Frost         frostma at aol.com
Deputy Director: Lee Macdonald  lt at macdonald42.freeserve.co.uk