[BAA-ebulletin 00552] Death of BAA member Eric Strach

BAA electronic bulletins service baa-ebulletin at britastro.org
Tue Jan 11 13:49:21 GMT 2011

BAA electronic bulletin
2011-Jan-11

It with great sadness that I must inform you of the death of BAA member Eric Strach.
Although Eric had reached the grand age of 96 years he was an active member of the Solar Section until 2009 recording the Sun in white light and hydrogen-alpha on daily basis. He was well into his 80’s when he took up solar imaging and wrote several papers for the Journal over a 24 year period. His last letter was published in the December 2010 issue on the subject of dark spots on the Sun. Eric received the Association’s Merlin Medal and Gift in 1999 in recognition of his notable contribution to the advancement of astronomy and the Walter Goodacre Award in 2010.

Eric was the President of the Liverpool Astronomical Society in their centenary year 1981 and I leave it to another past LAS president, Tony Williams, to sum up our loss:
“…a true gentleman and an inspiration to many who have had the honour and privilege of knowing him.”

Lyn Smith
Director
BAA Solar Section