[BAA-ebulletin 00681] Sad news about Peter Hingley

BAA electronic bulletins service baa-ebulletin at britastro.org
Sat Jun 23 16:27:11 BST 2012

PETER HINGLEY 1951-2012

I must relay the very sad news contained in a message from Pamela
Mortimer, executive Secretary of the Royal Astronomical Society in
London:

"As the Executive Secretary of the Royal Astronomical Society it is my
very sad duty to announce the death of Peter Hingley, our Librarian at
Burlington House. Peter's family have been informed and our thoughts are
with them and his friends at this difficult time.

Peter was a valued and committed member of staff with an extraordinary
knowledge of historical astronomical documents and will be missed by all
who knew him.

The RAS will make an announcement on the website later this afternoon
however I know that many of you were in regular contact with Peter so I
wanted to make sure you received this very unhappy news."

Peter will be well known to many of you who have visited the RAS library
over the years. He was a great source of knowledge about astronomical
history and his loss will be keenly felt by the whole community.

David Boyd
Vice-president (sent in the President's absence)
2012 June 23