[BAA-ebulletin 00669] News from the Dark Sky Discovery Partnership

BAA electronic bulletins service baa-ebulletin at britastro.org
Thu May 10 23:20:26 BST 2012

The UK Dark Sky Discovery partnership www.darkskydiscovery.org.uk is a
network of national and local astronomy and environmental organisations
which aims to:

• Engage people from diverse backgrounds with the night sky;
• Encourage positive attitudes towards science and technology;
• Support the development of dark sky places, awareness and tourism;
• Develop a national network of dark sky communicators;
• Create long-lasting organisational partnerships in this area.

The BAA is a member of the National DSD Steering Group. The following news from the project has been issued by Dan Hillier, the project leader, for distribution to our members.

David Boyd
BAA representative on the DSD Steering Group
2012 May 10

1. Nominate your local Dark Sky Discovery Site!

So far, 24 local Dark Sky Discovery Sites around the UK has been set up -
highlighting the best local spots for stargazing in urban and rural areas.
Why not put yourself on the google map and nominate the best place near you?
The map also lists venues that run regular observing events. Find out more
here http://www.darkskydiscovery.org.uk/dark-sky-discovery-sites/map.html

2. Is the night sky for everyone?

The DSD England project is funded by Natural England to find ways of
involving people from different types of background and situations in
enjoying their local night sky. The stars are free for everyone to enjoy;
but factors such as specials need or social and financial reasons mean not
everyone finds its so easy to get out there. Are you interested in changing
this situation, do you have experiences, activities or ideas you would like
to share with the DSD project? Please get in touch
info at darkskydiscovery.org.uk. The project will compile a set of case studies
and good practice resources for all astronomers to use.

3. Oct/Nov - it's our time of year

We are investigating a coordinated national astronomy and space campaign in
early autumn.  Three opportunities which could be harnessed into a single
campaign are:

4-10 Oct World Space Week www.worldspaceweek.org

5 Oct Awesome Universe - events to celebrate 50 years of the European
Southern Observatory.
http://www.eso.org/public/events/special-evt/5oct2012/organisers.html

28 Oct Dark Sky Season starts (end of BST)

We hope to announce some form of campaign later this summer, depending of
course on what funds we can secure. Your ideas about what to do (and what
not to do) are very welcome. info at darkskydiscovery.org.uk. But don't wait
for us - please get involved in these initiatives if you can.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

Dan Hillier
DSD Project Leader
Royal Observatory Edinburgh
Science and Technology Facilities Council
0131 668 8406