[BAA-ebulletin 00732] First reported UK observations of C/2011 L4 (PanSTARRS)

BAA electronic bulletins service baa-ebulletin at britastro.org
Wed Mar 13 07:15:01 GMT 2013

On March 12 we received the first UK observations of this comet. It was
visible very low down in the west along with the thin crescent Moon
which was less than one day old.

So far we have received positive observations from James Abott (Witham,
Essex), Ian Sharp (Selsey, Sussex) and Dennis Boon. The comet was not
visible with the naked eye but it was clearly seen using binoculars.

I've updated the BAA blog with details:

http://britastro.org/blog/?p=1168

Tonight the Sun sets at an azimuth of around 266 deg just before 6pm. An
hour later the comet will be at an azimuth of 272 deg and around 4 deg
above the horizon. The 2 day old crescent Moon will be much higher and
slightly to the left (270 deg azimuth, 11 deg above the horizon).

The comet is not spectacular and you will need a pair of binoculars to
find it but it is quite unusual to see a comet in the bright twilight so
it is worth making an effort if the weather cooperates.

Please send any observations to cometobs at britastro.org.

Nick James.