[BAA-ebulletin 00991] Jim Hysom

BAA electronic bulletins service baa-ebulletin at lists.britastro.org
Wed Oct 11 04:16:15 BST 2017

It is with sadness that I convey the news that Jim Hysom died on 6 October. Jim became a Member of the Association in 1949, served as Director of the Instruments and Observing Methods Section from 1973 to 1981, and was recipient of the Horace Dall Medal and Gift in 1999. He began his career at Cox, Hargreaves, and Thomson in the 1950s; in 1962 he and John Thomson cofounded Optical Surfaces; and in 1967 he and his brother Robert established Astronomical Equipment in Luton. An obituary will no doubt be published in the Journal. In the meantime, however, I shall be producing a special edition of I&I News, and therefore invite contributions in the form of personal reminiscences, photographs, anecdotes, memories of conversations, advice received, experiences in using AE instruments, and so forth. Please let me know if you would like to contribute to the commemoration of this master optician.

Bob Marriott

Director, Instruments and Imaging Section
E-mail: ram at hamal.demon.co.uk<mailto:ram at hamal.demon.co.uk>
Tel: Northampton (01604) 765190