[BAA Comets] 96P Macholtz

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Fri Jul 27 00:01:29 BST 2012

I got a better view of Machholz tonight using an SXV-H9 on the back of a
Megrez 72. It was still a battle between twilight and rooftops with the
added worry of cloud slowly approaching from the west but at least I now
have detected the tail.

http://www.nickdjames.com/Media/albums/Astronomy/Comets/96p_20120726_ndj.jpg

This is a 43x30s stack. The altitude of the comet ranged from 9.5 - 6.1
deg during this set and flat fielding and sky background subtraction was
quite a challenge.

Hopefully, comet 2011 L4 (PanSTARRS) will be a lot brighter than this
with a decent tail when it is at a similar altitude at evening nautical
twilight next March.

Thanks to Denis for flagging up this comet as a possible target. Before
his challenge I had thought that it was just too low in a bright sky.