[BAA Comets] Comet finder charts

Graham Relf gr at grelf.net
Tue Jul 31 16:20:39 BST 2012

On 31/07/2012 13:06, Graham Relf wrote:
> On 31/07/2012 11:31, Roger Dymock wrote:
>> Hi Graham,
>>
>> A couple of questions relating to the Kreutz comets on the Computing Section charts;
>> - can I enlarge the main chart as these comets are a little crowded making it
>> difficult to pick out individual comets?
>> - on the detailed chart for a specific Kreutz comet there are a number of circles.
>> Presumably these indicate the number of days from perihelion but there are several
>> with the same number. Which relate to the comet noted at the top of the chart?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Roger Dymock
>> Email: roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
>> Tel: 023 92647986
>> Skype: rjvdymock
>> MPC Observatory Code: 940

Roger,

A new version of "What's observable" (
http://britastro.org/computing/applets_planets.html ) now shows which is
which of the Kreutz comets on the detailed chart. You will need to
restart your browser, and possibly clear its cache, to see it.

A side effect is that all detailed charts now show the full names of
objects, which is an improvement. Also you will see that the list of
(non-Kreutz) comets you can select from is much larger - the full MPC
list, but not yet updated daily.

Regards,
Graham