[BAA Comets] Comet search program

Roger Dymock roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
Wed May 2 10:55:35 BST 2012

Having been approached by two local astronomical societies who were keen to get
involved in some serious observing I thought a comet search/observation program might
fit the bill. Early days yet but my plan is to roll the program out via astronomical
societies.

The project could include (in order of difficulty);
- locating and observing known comets
- observing known comets of particular interest (e.g.; in outburst or splitting)
- follow up observations of newly discovered comets
- finding comets masquerading as asteroids
- searching for returning comets
- discovering comets

For observing read visual observing and imaging.

This mailing list would be a good way of communicating with and between participants
and has saved me the trouble of setting one up (thanks Nick and Denis).

Any comments, ideas, etc would be more than welcome to help me develop the project
over the coming months. I would like to name the program Project Alcock after the
UK's most successful comet discoverer but I need to confirm that I can use that name.

Regards

Roger Dymock
Email: roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
Tel: 023 92647986