[BAA Comets] IRAS-Araki-Alcock (1983d = C/1983 H1)

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Thu May 3 21:58:16 BST 2012

Richard reminded us that today is the 29th anniversary of the last comet
discovery from the UK (excluding discoveries made using remote
telescopes and spacecraft). I was at Uni in Bristol at the time and it
was one of the first comets that I tried to photograph. I remember being
amazed that I could see it moving past the background stars. In those
days short exposures and stacking weren't an option so offset guiding
was the norm. That was extremely challenging on an object moving at
around 2 arcmin/min!

For those wishing to see how it was reported at the time I've pulled a
couple of video clips from my archive:

http://www.nickdjames.com/Video/1983-05-11_IRAS-Araki-Alcock.mp4
http://www.nickdjames.com/Video/19830605_SkyAtNight.mp4