[BAA Comets] Comet Section Programmes

Roger Dymock roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
Tue May 8 16:00:14 BST 2012

Hi Dennis,

All good stuff and I agree wholeheartedly with what you say. A few comments.

1) For some time now I have been submitting data to the Spanish group. Analysing the
images with Astrometrica and Focas (developed by them) is very easy and to be
encouraged. I didn't go down the Italian route as the filters are quite expensive and
not available on SSON telescopes.
2) I hope to promote most of what you say via the comet search/observation program
(Project Alcock) which I propose to roll out via local astronomical societies (see my
post dated May 2). This should enable us to reach a wider audience than individual
approaches. Not everyone will be aware of all the comet observing opportunities you
list in your post and I mentioned in mine so publicising them and offering some
assistance would meet your point about making existing programs more efficient and
responsive. My own society (Hampshire Astronomical Group) is quite receptive of this
idea so I should be able to pilot test the project with them.
3)Allocating areas of sky was one thing I considered as I thought the supernova
search operated in that manner but I now understand it does not so I have dropped the
idea
4) The team approach you mention wrt SOHO images would be ideally suited to local
astronomy groups in particular those which have a permanent site and/or internet
access
5) Encouragement is sadly lacking in the section - I know that some in the BAA feel
that hand-holding is unnecessary but newcomers and even the more experienced need a
leg up now and then. Section mtgs are an ideal conduit but have not been at the top
of the priority list sad to say.
6) Projects to observe/image specific comets (as Richard Miles does with his ARPS low
phase angle asteroids) could be a way of generating enough interest to enable papers
to be written and thus ensure the proper recognition is given to those involved.

The one burning question is how do we kick all of this off? We can post to this list
until it stops raining but that won't, in itself, bring about any permanent change.

Regards

Roger Dymock
Email: roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
Tel: 023 92647986