[BAA Comets] Alcock's possible prediscovery of C/Pererya

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Wed May 9 07:41:32 BST 2012

David,

> I read that G. E. D. Alcock saw a pencil-thin beam of light in the morning twilight in September 1963, just a few days before the sungrazing Comet Pererya was discovered. It seems very likely that what he saw was the tail of the comet, but does anyone have more information about this? Was the "beam" seen naked eye or through binoculars?
This is written up in "Under an English Heaven" by Kay Williams. On p156
it says: "Four months later, in mid-September he just missed being able
to claim a fourth discovery: 'In the brightening dawn I saw a faint,
long, straight beam of light pointing away from the sun at an angle to
the horizon of less than ten degrees. It was badly placed in our part of
the world and I thought that it must be the headlight of a distant car'".

I've searched the digital JBAA archive and the first mention of Pereyra
(1963e) is JBAA 1964,74 p338 but no reference to Alcock.

Alcock's observation is mentioned in Martin Mobberley's paper "Tails of
the twentieth Century", JBAA 110,4,p187 with a reference to Williams'
book but no further info.

Jonathan Shanklin mentions it again in JBAA 114,1 p46 when he says: "In
a 1977 letter George depicted a thin pencil beam low in the sky on 1963
September 12, questioning whether it might have been the comet
discovered by Pereyra in Argentina two days later".

So, I guess the objective would be to find the 1977 letter...