[BAA Comets] Recent observations

denis buczynski buczynski8166 at btinternet.com
Sun May 13 13:54:29 BST 2012

Hello all
It is interesting to see the details of Nick James's observations of the faint comets which he
imaged a couple of nights ago. Two things struck me, one being how faint these comets are and the
other being the abilty of amateurs here and arounf the world, observing in conditions, which are for
the most part not ideal, to image these faint comets regularly. Compared to the situation years ago
when film was the detection medium we have come a spectacularly long way. I notice that in a message
from Giovanni Sostero on Comet-ml on May 11  he invites amateurs using telescopes of 0.3m and larger
to try and image Comet 67P C-G now, when it is as faint as magnitude 22! Giovanni is very
experienced and would not have offered that challenge if he was not confident that it could be
achieved. The situation of years ago, say in the era of the International Halley Watch in the mid
1980's there was a real sense of acheivement when a comet of 14-15 magnitude was succesfully imaged
by amateurs. This usually happened only after very long offset manually guided exposures were made
from inside the interior of a dark and cold observatory. The fact that such faint comets are now
easily imaged via a few clicks of a PC mouse whilst the observer is sat in a warm control room means
that more of these faint comets can now be followed by amateurs.

Another matter of interest has been the imaging of the recent outburst of Comet 29P by amateur
observers using the 2m Faulkes telescopes. These show the now familiar fan shaped outburst inner and
outer coma. This seems to be a regular feature of the appearance of this comet in outburst. I wonder
if the reason is that the outburst location on the surface of the comet is always the same, and that
there is some weakness or fracturing that regularly occurs there. What causes these outburst to
happen on such a regular basis and why do they look so similar each time? Perhaps someone on this
list can offer a comet physics lesson and explain the causes that are thought to be behind these
outbursts? A detailed image of the latest outburst in to be seen here at this link from Erik
Bryssinck who posted this image on Comet-ml on May 11.
http://www.astronomie.be/erik.bryssinck/recent_work.html

Denis