[BAA Comets] Reporting Formats

Roger Dymock roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
Mon May 21 16:21:48 BST 2012

Hi Graham,

Have you looked at the Contributing observations section of the Comet section website
at http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jds/ ? From there you can download a program which does
create files in the various formats. Was this the sort of thing you had in mind?

Perhaps there are wider questions to be asked e.g.;
- to which organisations do we wish to send the date - MPC, ICQ, TA, BAA, etc, etc?
- do we wish to submit observations to a Comet section on-line database?
- who do we want to view our data - members, other organisations, etc

I am a great believer in;
1) on-line databases which can be freely viewed by anyone or at least anyone who
first requests access to the database owner and which accept input directly from
observers.
2) Having a single format (or one for visual obs and one for CCD obs at most)
3) That what we have done in the past shouldn't necessarily tie us down ad infinitum

You wouldn't like to write the software for such a database would you if the powers
that be could be persuaded that it was a 'good thing' ?

Regards

Roger Dymock
Email: roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
Tel: 023 92647986