[BAA Comets] Post-perihelion fragmentation of 168P/Hergenrother

denis buczynski buczynski8166 at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 2 12:06:48 GMT 2012

I was also able to image this comet last night, in a dark sky (first with moon out of sky for some
time) and took a set of 20x30s in r band filter to see if the reported fragmentation was visible yet
at 2"/pixel resolution I use with my C14/ST9XE combination. I could not detect any fragment with the
processing I used (stacking and log stretch). I wonder if a drift rate can be calculated fro the
fragment from the large telescope images which would give us an indication when it should be
possible for observers using the size of telescope we employ to image the main fragment? I will
continue to image this active comet. I have placed all the images submitted to the Comet Section on
the Comet Gallery on the BAA Website.
Direct links to the images I took last night are at:

http://britastro.org/baa/index.php?view=detail&id=646&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=200

http://britastro.org/baa/index.php?view=detail&id=645&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=200

Denis Buczynski
Secretary Comet Section