[BAA Comets] Post-perihelion fragmentation of 168P/Hergenrother

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 2 12:31:35 GMT 2012

Thanks Denis for trying to detect the fragment.  It turns out that it has
faded quite a bit and is still only about 3.3" from the main nucleus.

This morning two schools/colleges (Queen's College and Dollar Academy)
working with the Faulkes Team coordinated by Nick Howes each managed to
image the comet continuously for about 50 minutes using the Faulkes
Telescope North.  I downloaded their images and processed 19 of them using
the same approach as previous.  (The first few images were contaminated by a
nearby star so I did not use those.)  The results can be seen at:
http://www.britastro.org/~rmiles/Documents/168P_2012Nov02.png

The 'fragment' is now sporting a small tail of its own and is really very
faint compared to the main nucleus, most of the light from which has been
removed by the rotational gradient image processing.

For comparison the earlier images are available at:
http://www.britastro.org/~rmiles/Documents/168P_20121022-26.png

The apparent drift rate of the fragment relative to the main nucleus is very
slow.  This is in part caused by the increasing delta distance over recent
days, so although the actual separation in km is increasing, the mini-comet
appears to remain hugging the parent body.  In 6 days the separation has
maybe gone from 2.4" to 3.3".  Compounding the problem for amateur-size
telescopes appears to be that the fragment has faded significantly so may be
starting to break-up - hard to tell at this stage.

Richard Miles
Director, Asteroids and Remote Planets Section
British Astronomical Association