[BAA Comets] Post-perihelion fragmentation of 168P/Hergenrother

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 2 15:33:59 GMT 2012

Denis asked, "Do you think that the fragmentation we have witnessed was the
cause of the brightness outburst seen over the past month? "

The first notification I saw of this perihelic outburst of 168P was from
Reinder Bouma and Edwin van Dijk on September 22.  On October 22, i.e. 1
month later, there was no discrete 'fragment' visible but 4 days after this
date, lo and behold, a bright region appears to have separated from the
nucleus as seen in the Faulkes image of October 26 (seeing 1.2").  That this
was what I call a mini-comet was evident in the 3.5-m WIYN image obtained on
October 30 at an effective seeing of probably 0.3-0.4" as you could see what
looked like a small brightspot trailing a faint coma behind it.
[BTW: That was some incredible image using their new 'on-chip' method for
improving resolution based on the new Orthogonal Transfer Array technology
as well as tracking the comet during the exposures.  As you pointed out to
comets-ml, they have removed this WIYN image from their blog probably
because they are still only in the commissioning stage for that instrument.
I wonder when will OTA CCDs be available to amateurs?]

Those are the facts.  What actually is going on at the comet is quite a
different matter and is open to speculation.  What I'd like to draw folk's
attention to is that none of these images actually show the comet nucleus or
mini-comet nucleus.  That's because we generally see something mainly thanks
to all the dust that is ejected into space from the physical nucleus or
fragment(s).  Comet nuclei are very dark, so an object say 1 km across at
the distance of 168P would appear about magnitude 18, an easy target for the
HST to resolve but not for the amateur-size telescope when the solid body is
surrounded by a bright coma.  So outbursts are generally associated with the
release of dust ejected from the nucleus by gas pressure causing the surge
in brightness.

We could speculate what has been happening to 168P:  Although dust and gas
release has been dramatically enhanced in the past few weeks, the 'fragment'
might have split off  a few weeks ago but may have taken a fair while to
heat up and for volatiles and dust to be ejected so as to make it visible.
Such a change might have happened around October 26 since at that point the
'fragment' does not show any significant tail having formed.  That means it
might have become activated and released material a few days earlier (say
Oct 23-24) so by Oct 26 the dust surrounding it renders it visible.  By
October 30, the 'fragment' will have faded as some of the dust is
transferred into the tail forming the mini-comet'.  By November 2, more of
the 'fragment' has disintegrated, fading in the process and streaming more
dust and gas behind it.  Given such a scenario I'd expect this 'fragment' to
disappear completely unless some large piece(s) of debris remain in which
case a large scope will be needed for its detection.

By January 1, the comet will be twice as far away as it is now so we don't
have a great deal of time.  Probably the best windows for observing will be
Nov 8-19 and Dec 7-18.  At least it will be well placed for observers in the
northern hemisphere.

Richard Miles
BAA