[BAA Comets] 168p fragmentation

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 3 16:27:06 GMT 2012

Interesting.  I've added a few comments on the BAA Forum under the Comets
section which anyone can see at:
http://www.britastro.org/baa/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=100007&func=view&catid=8&id=1188

I've analysed the key images including the jpegs shown recently from the
WIYN and by JPL from Gemini North.
See here:
www.britastro.org/~rmiles/Documents/168P_Oct26-Nov2a.png

I've made assumptions in labelling various condensations visible alongside
the head of the comet.  In actual fact, things might be a lot more transient
in nature with condensations in the tail coming and going over periods of a
day or so, and we have to rely on a few snapshots well spaced in time.
However, component 'a', which was discovered by the Faulkes team on October
26, does look more permanent given that it is sporting a tail.  What I don't
quite understand is where it was on October 22 when Nick Howes, Giovanni
Sostero and Ernesto Guido took a deep image using Faulkes?  It's subsequent
motion has now shown it to be quite slow moving (relative to the nucleus) so
it may have been a product of fragmentation from many weeks ago, having
remained dormant for quite a time and it has only recently become activated.

At least we now know the 'big guns' are targetting 168P so they should be
able to better elucidate the nature of this comet.

Richard Miles
BAA