[BAA Comets] Post-perihelion fragmentation of 168P/Hergenrother

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 30 22:22:44 GMT 2012

Thanks Nick for capturing such a good image with the Moon so bright and
close.

There does appear to be a finger projection / bifurcation in the near-tail
around 4 arcsec and p.a. 150 deg from the brightest pixel position.  This
might be the remnant part of which has formed a slight tail of its own.
Certainly shows that we still have only the one comet nucleus persisting.

Maybe needs a 2.0-m scope, smaller FWHM and dark sky to see what's going on.

Richard