[BAA Comets] Unknown object near IC5070

Alexei Pace alexei.pace at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 23:03:52 BST 2012

Dear all,

Permit me to take you a few moments. A friend of mine (Leonard Ellul Mercer
) has taken some images and a mysterious object appears moving through the
field. The area was checked with the MPC checker but no object (~mag 11)
was found. The object looks real (ie. not an artefact) .The area in
question is near IC5070 and the suspect passes near the star TYC 3179 1255.
The instrument used is an RC 10" at f8 with a 0.73 focal reducer.

The images were taken on 9 September from the location of Malta (Near
MPC171). They are 5 minute integrations with  a blue filter.
Image 1 is the first image taken at UT.21.36 - Image 2 taken at UT 21.46
and Image 3 is the last image taken at UT.22.46
North is on the left and East is downwards

Chip size 10x14.9mm
Image scale: 1.20 arcsec/pix  Binning 2x2
Array size 2184x1472
CCD SBIG ST 10 XME

I am attaching the individual images - what do you think?
Kind regards,

Alexei Pace
Rabat, Malta