[BAA Comets] Comet Photometry

Roger Dymock roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 17 16:49:50 BST 2012

I guess most of us who make CCD obs of comets submit reports to the MPC in MPC format
because that is what programs such as Astrometrica give us. Such reports are
collected by Guy Hurst along with visual reports on behalf of the Comet Section.

What we don't want to have to do is retype MPC reports into ICQ format - too time
consuming and prone to errors. We have three formats for visual obs (BAA, TA, ICQ)
and we wouldn't want to go down that route for CCD obs would we. The ICQ CCD reports
are quite complex - the codes used run to nine pages.

Perhaps some clever person could write a conversion program or it could be built into
the suggested on-line submission. Alternatively Herbert Raab might be persuaded to
offer the two alternatives in Astrometrica.

On a positive note and to help out here I will sign on to COBS and see how easy, or
difficult, it is to use. If it satisfies our needs then we don't need to reinvent the
wheel and set up one of our own.

You have to wonder why the MPC and ICQ have different formats. If they had the same
then all astrometry/photometry software would have to follow suit.

The French on-line database at http://comet.observations.free.fr/index.php is worth a
look.

Regards

Roger Dymock