[BAA Comets] Comet Photometry

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 17 21:31:08 BST 2012

Denis,

I think this is an excellent suggestion to use COBS to capture observations
made by BAA Comet Section members.

Back in May 2010 I met Jure Zakrajek and signed up to COBS mainly as a means
of accessing the data rather than submitting my own.  The software is well
tried and tested and so it would make a lot of sense to use it rather than
to 'reinvent the wheel'.

We need to pay close attention to the details of the ICQ format and try and
standardise on a few things common to CCD observations of comets.  The first
thing I would say is that the ICQ reporting aims to generate photometry that
is comparable with visual observers.  In other words, the "total V
magnitude" and this is reported to the nearest 0.1 magnitudes.  ICQ state
that they "do not want estimates of the nuclear condensation alone".
However, some observers using COBS have routinely reported for a given
epoch, several magnitude measurements corresponding to different size
photometric apertures, which is therefore a measure of the (spherically
symmetrical) distribution of light within the coma.  Obtaining the total V
magnitude of a comet is non-trivial and relates directly to the issue of the
discrepancy between CCD and visual estimates partly caused by different
effective photometric aperture sizes / telescope focal ratio, visual
magnification, etc.

So imagine you have a stacked high SNR image of a comet, by reporting
magnitudes of concentric apertures centred on the nucleus it may allow one
to extrapolate the measures to a "pseudo V magnitude" which corresponds to
the equivalent coma diameter reported by the visual observer.  I think
that's why the COBS reports often contain several magnitude reports for a
particular comet at a particular epoch date/time.

Direct measurements of the "total coma" are almost certainly doomed to fail
especially for brighter comets since the coma extends further out than is
obvious from looking at the CCD image and in any case field stars
increasingly contaminate the coma the further out you try to make a
measurement such that attempts to subtract out the field stars become
increasingly inaccurate.  However, we may find a methodology which can
successfully equate the two sets of data for some comets and this is where
COBS becomes a valuable resource.

The last thing I would throw into the mix at this stage is that once the
discussion has been properly aired and we have homed in on some specifics,
why not hold an observers' workshop say at the BAA in London where people
can be tutored / trained as to how to use COBS and the ICQ format including
some 'hands-on' work on their laptops?

Richard Miles