[BAA Comets] magnitude measurements form CCD observations

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 18 12:56:17 BST 2012

Dear Uwe,

This is very helpful.  I have a few questions:

In the report by yourself and Bernhard Häusler entitled, "Visuelle und
CCD-Photometrie von Kometen: Angleich der Messwerte durch die
Multiapertur-Methode" or "Visual and CCD Photometry of comets: Matching
measured values using the Multi-aperture Method"

There is the statement:

Die Grenzhelligkeit (m-infinity) und der charakteristische Radius (rho)
müssen so gewählt werden, dass eine "bestmögliche Passform" erreicht wird
(Bild 3). Das mathematische verfahren hierzu ist die Ausgleichsrechnung nach
der Methode der kleinsten Fehlerquadrate, die von Gauß entwickelt wurde.
Dieser Rechenansatz kann in vielen Lehrbüchern nachgelesen werden, z.B. in
[3].

which translates to:

The limiting magnitude (m-infinity) and the characteristic radius (rho) must
be chosen so that a "best fit" is obtained (Fig.3).  The mathematical method
is the regression analysis using the method of least squares, which Gauss
developed.  This computational approach can be found in many textbooks, e.g.
in [3].

Can you say what the form of the equation used to fit the curve?  The
regression analysis can be used with several different curve equations.  It
would also help if the algorithms / equations used in the software "Kphot"
are explicitly stated.

Secondly,

In the plot shown in Fig.3, there are six datapoints plotted (10-60 arcsec
diameter) and m-infinity is given as 9.7 and the characteristic radius, rho
is given as 1.82 arcmin.  Is this the radius when 63% of the light flux is
reached, i.e. 0.502 magnitudes fainter than m-infinity, or mag 10.2?  I am
not sure where the 63% value has come from - Has it been derived empirically
from existing data?  In practice the visual observations will vary depending
on parameters such as focal ratio, magnification and relative sky brightness
and so this value of 63% may not be the best in all cases.

This looks to be a practical approach to relate visual and CCD measurements
and may be refined as more examples where we have good data from both CCD
and visual observations available.

Danke schön,
Richard Miles