[BAA Comets] Fw: C/2011L4 questions

denis buczynski buczynski8166 at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 18 21:48:10 BST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: denis buczynski
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:47 PM
To: COML ; BAA Comets discussion list
Subject: C/2011L4 questions

Hello all,
Could anyone on this list answer a few questions about this comet's physical appearance.
Firstly, has there been an estimate of the physical size of the nucleus?
2) How much dust has been released from the nucleus to maintain the large fan tail we have seen and
imaged for so long. Also has spectroscopy revealed the nature of the material released from the
nucleus.
3) Has there been a gas component imaged in the tail? The colour imaging has only shown a yellow fan
with no blue gas feature.
4) We have see and imaged the forward spike/antitail for a month or more now , with little change in
the PA of this feature with respect to the comet head. I assume that as the viewing geometry is
changing all the time as we are see the comet moving away from earth. Why is the PA of this forward
spike/antitail not changing with time? On Comet Arend- Roland the antitail lasted only a few days
(11 I believe) and was seen to swing round as the viewing geometry changed.
4) What is the cause of the forward spike/antitail, is it just a question of viewing perspective.
5) Has there been any specific professional observing campaign on this comet?

Thank you in advance
Denis Buczynski