[BAA Comets] Recovery of P154 Brewington

denis buczynski buczynski8166 at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 9 01:26:51 BST 2013

Hello all,
I asked the Pierre Laporte, the observer who has recovered this comet to write up the
discovery/recovery circumstances for us.I always find these accounts interesting and inspiring, as
it shows that amateurs can still make a significant contribution.
Denis Buczynski

Here is Pierre's reply

Hi Denis

Here is the circumstance of this rediscovery.

I (Pierre Laporte) try to image P/Brewington (104P) on the 1 august 2013 05:27 UT.  I use a refrator
4" f/5.4 with an ST-402 ME.  Generally, I use 5 exposures of 120 seconds.  This attempt was a fail.
By routine, I took a second try on 7 august 2013 at 03:46 UT.  After discussion with my neighbour
observatory, Stéphane Potvin give a try also using his 12" with a ST-3000.  Stéphane Potvin took 46
exposures of 120s beginning at 09:12 UT.  At the end, animation of images clearly show the comet
tracking among the fixed stars....  I immediately check my five exposures to see the comet coma
moving among the star field.  A third observatory, operated by Jean-François Viens, after having see
the animation, point his 36" Dobson f/ 3,5 to the field located with CCD image and succeed to
confirm visually the nature of the comet.  Jean-François Viens estimate his magnitude visually to
17,5 with a DC = 4. On my picture, I get celestial coordinates using my pictures and register to the
UCAC3 stars catalog to get precise celestial coordinates  We try to get an Internet connexsion via
phone cell to send the information. We also  made a phone call to a fouth collegue, Clermont
Vallière, who succeed to get picture of the comet.  The re-examination of pictures that I made on
the 1 august reveal no trace of the comet......

Pierre Laporte

C.O.A.M.N.D.

Centre d'Observation Astronomique des Monts Notre-Dame