[BAA Comets] 1949N1 Bappu-Bok-Newkirk

denis buczynski buczynski8166 at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 26 23:47:40 BST 2013

Hello all,
Today I reached a milestone in my stewardship of the British Astronomical Association Comet Gallery.
I placed the number 1000 image on it. Anyone interested in comet images can access this site at the
following link:
http://britastro.org/baa/index.php?view=category&catid=5&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=200

To mark this event I was lucky to be able to select a comet image, that although being 64 years old
has never been published before. It is the photographic discovery image of C/1949 N1
Bappu-Bok-Newkirk.
Amar Sharma of Nikaya Observatory, Bangalore has been investigating the discovery
circumstances of this comet and the location of the original plate to enter it into his upcoming
Biographies of  Worldwide Comet Discoverers. I was pleased to be able to use this unusual image to
remind today's "digital comet observers" how discovery was undertaken "in the olden days" of
photographic glass plates and hour long observer guided exposures. I hope you enjoy seeing this
unusual and unique image.It is available at the following link:

   http://britastro.org/baa/index.php?view=detail&id=1454&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=200