[BAA Comets] Photometry of C/2012 S1 (ISON)

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Mon Jan 14 20:59:52 GMT 2013

This comet is very much in the news at the moment with various media
outlets predicting that it will be brighter than the full moon at
perihelion. This sounds very impressive to the general public since the
full moon is really bright in a dark sky. Of course, even if ISON is
that bright, it will be very close to the Sun and could be quite
difficult to spot.

We like to think that comets follow a magnitude law of the form:

m = M + 5 * log10(D) + K * log10(r)

where H and K are constants, D and r are the comet's distance to the
Earth and Sun (in au) and m is the total observed magnitude. To predict
a comet's magnitude at any point in the future we need to estimate H and
K from our observations. We do this by plotting the comet's absolute
magnitude:

m - 5 * log10(D)

against the log of its distance from the Sun

log10(r)

We then fit a straight line to the points and estimate the intercept M,
and the slope, K.

Denis Buczynski, Roger Dymock and myself have been observing this comet
and calculating its total magnitude using Astrometrica and Focas. The
results we have so far are shown as points on the plots (the both show
the same thing but on different scales). The dark blue line is the best
fit to this data. With this very limited dataset we get:

M = 2.31 +/- 1.36
K = 14.24 +/- 1.86

This would imply that the comet would be extremely bright at perihelion
however it is clear from looking at the first plot that any attempt to
extrapolate that far is very unwise. Effectively we are using a straight
line obtained from a very small range of log10(r) to extrapolate down to
perihelion when log10(r) = -1.9.

Over the coming months we certainly need more photometric observations
of this comet obtained using the Astrometrica/Focas technique so that we
can see how the behaviour develops. At present the comet is around mag
15.5 in a 10 arcsec box. Roger Dymock has been doing a lot of work in
this area and both he and I can provide advice if needed.

Whatever happens to this comet it will be an interesting object to
observe throughout 2013 and we will have a lot to talk about at the
Comet Section meeting in May.