[BAA Comets] [comets-ml] 29P outburst ?

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 13 11:15:29 BST 2013

Dear Jean-Francois, Clay et al.,

Yes, indeed. A number of amateurs keep close watch on this object. I
observed 29P on June 11.35 through cloud using the Faulkes Telescope North
and found it to be fainter than 16.0R. Can you indicate the exact time of
your pre-outburst observation of June 12 as it would be nice to fix a
relatively exact time for the start of the present outburst?  Thanks.

I should mention that I have developed a model of this comet's nucleus and
thereby a possible explanation of its behaviour. Abstracts have been
submitted to the forthcoming European Planetary Science Congress (September
8 - 13, London): one an oral presentation entitled, "Microporosity, the
wetted layer and the role of CO and CO2 driving the activity of comets
29P/Schwassmann-Wachmann and 17P/Holmes", and a second as a poster
presentation with my colleague George Faillace, entitled, "Microporosity,
the "wetted layer" and the postulated outburst mechanisms driving the
activity of comets 29P/Schwassmann-Wachmann and 17P/Holmes".

I might also add that on April 19, I am on record as predicting another
outburst of 29P on June 14 (+/-5 day). That it has outburst virtually on cue
is one thing and may just be a chance coincidence, but what will be
important now is to monitor the nature of the expanding outflows of material
in the inner coma. The hypothesis I am working on for this prediction is
that at any one time there are very few active regions on the nucleus
involved in outbursts and that the present outburst originates from the same
site which produced the recent (weaker) April 14 outburst: the difference in
time of 59 days being associated with an approx. 60-day rotation period for
the nucleus. If the form of the outflows of material seen this time for 29P
are broadly similar to the April 14 event then the point will be finally
proven. I say this as our data has shown this characteristic behaviour
already occurred in 2010, 2011 and in 2012.

BTW: The way in which an outburst appears to strip away the existing
nebulosity around the nucleus, which Clay comments on below, I have also
noted in the past. Whether this is real or a contrast effect needs working
on further.

Finally, observations of 29P on June 13.32 made by Maui Community College
using the FT North (1.1" seeing) show the comet as essentially stellar in
appearance and magnitude 13.0R.

Richard Miles
British Astronomical Association

P.S. Have just seen that Josep M. Bosch has posted a report for 29P that on
June 12.88 the comet was magnitude 16.4R so the time of the present outburst
must be June 12.94 +/-0.05.  Nice result.