[BAA Comets] Comet Section meeting

amar sharma amar10sharmaa at yahoo.co.in
Mon Mar 11 23:22:49 GMT 2013

Hello BAA comet members,

Please excuse me for the long email, however it touches upon everything intended.

This is Amar Sharma (29) from India; Her foremost active comet-eer from 10 years now, with an in-born inclination to literally everything about comets (very unnatural within this Country). I have not been making formal magnitude estimates yet.

I am up with a big project which pertains comets, I have been in touch with Denis B. who knows it in detail, and I believe has the confidence. I have also shared my idea with J. Shanklin, Guy H and Martin M. They are 4 apart two dozen other global names that are involving / assisting me, and know about it.

Well, there is indeed a great lot I could share about my project, however I for now simply express saying my past half year has been spent very, very intensely in preparing a biography on comets. To be honest, it started with a staunch "inner voice" which gonged loud enough over time for me to actually initiate.

What I am attempting is the largest imaginable biography on comet hunters and discoverers. What is impressive about it is:

a) It spans individuals over 8-9 countries
b) It covers the entire 20th century (infact beginning from mid-1800s)
c) The number of individuals on whom biographies will be presented (short or long, depending on the person's accessibility) amounts to easily more than 50, I reckon even a staggering 60! From my side, no name in my experience that I can think of will be left out.

Whats further impressive is the entire mentioned-above is just 70% of the book. I wish to bring out several other aspects on the sport of comet hunting and related, interviews with comet groups and persons, and other innovative features yet to be conjured up. It should be much more than you asked for, in one big treatise.

To share my seriousness about it, I had originally wished the biography also manifests in form of a television documentary by an educational channel. Infact the documentary idea was the seed for the book; the book came up half a year ago, the documentary desire was since early last year. Several weeks ago on first thought, I went ahead and submitted my proposal to National Geographic USA. It was a very painful wait for over 50 days to hear a Yes from them. They denied saying its a good topic otherwise, but not for a commercial documentary. I was dejected and took another step and wrote to a private US filmmaker whom I had heard of. And now there seems to be a surprise awaiting, which I would share soon, if he accepts the same.

Having not actually been a comet hunter myself or a popular name in comets, why me and this kind of work? Well, it is just me and my personal devotion towards comets that I realize myself to be the torch-bearer. There always has to be someone to do something first, and with this it would be me.

I have already spent around 500 hours on this, to see only 40% completion! On several days I have sat with it for 8 hours continuous.

Ofcourse, UK history is also being included apart the UK comet discoverers Denning, Alcock, Panther and Candy. [And Caroline Herschel too]

Actually Denis B was the one to propose the idea of the same, which is why I raise the request here. I wish to ask the senior members of BAA if there is a possibility as a guest speaker I can get to present the theme / contents of my upcoming biography to BAA members during its meeting on May 18. I am anyway not a good person on stage, so I will like to keep it short, around 15 minutes at maximum. I wish to have some open inputs from all members present there. That will be a matter of great pride for me, since BAA Comet Section is one place I have reverence for.

I also wish to research the "RAS and BAA libraries at Burlington House in London" for original information, as informed by Denis. Do let me know what you think.

As I like to put it, if 2013 is the comet-in-the-sky year with PanSTARRS, ISON and Lemmon, I can only hope with the completion of this work by year end, 2013 will also be flavored by this surprise literary work, to be remembered.

Regards,

Amar A. Sharma.
www.picasaweb.google.com/nikayaobservatory