[BAA Comets] Drawings

denis buczynski buczynski8166 at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 12 21:01:56 GMT 2013

Hello all,
Doubtless all comet observers are attempting to see C/2011L4 close to the horizon at sunset.Most
observers will be using binoculars to try and pick up the comet. The post perihelion appearance of
this comet will give observers a good opportunity to revive the age old tradition of
drawing/sketching their views of this comet. This method of recording has all but disappeared and it
would be good to reverse this trend at this time. I realise that many of us will be imaging the
comet with all our armoury of new technology (ccd's,webcams,video cameras etc) but a few moments to
record what you can see in the binoculars/telescopes would enhance our record of this comet as it
moves away after perihelion. The drawing/sketch need not be a "artistic"  but needs to be accurate.
Sketch the comet in relation to the stars in the field with a scale and compass points, then ID the
stars later from planetarium programmes and include instrumental, time and location details. It
would be good to see more drawings in our Comet Gallery and now would be a good time to start. Send
drawings as JPEG files to cometobs at britastro.org. Time to get that box of pencils out again!
As an example of what we would like to see submitted and to encourage everybody to participate I
attach a drawing made by George Alcock of Periodic Comet Schaumasse in 1952, simple but effective.
Denis Buczynski
Secretary Comet Section
British Astronomical Association