[BAA Comets] 2013 March 13 observation of C/2011 L4 (PanSTARRS)

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Thu Mar 14 07:26:42 GMT 2013

The weather over the UK last night came good at the right time and I
managed my first observation of this comet at 19:00 UTC when it was
around 4 deg above the western horizon. It was easily visible in 8x30
bins but not with the naked eye.

I've put some processed images here:

http://www.nickdjames.com/Media/albums/Astronomy/Comets/2011l4_20130313_1906_ndj.jpg

and there is a short timelapse movie made up of 2.5s frames here:

http://youtu.be/_BaJLInJwDI

A very rough magnitude estimate based on a mag +6.5 star on the image
near the comet gives it at around +1.5. It's certainly not the
spectacular object that we hoped it would be but it was still exciting
to pick it up in the bright twilight. It should still be a good object
as it moves into darker skies.