[BAA Comets] C/2011 L4 (PanSTARRS) update

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 19 10:53:56 GMT 2013

Picking up on what makes comets especially interesting from an observer's
point of view.

We might suppose that comets are akin to asteroids with a few extra points
of interest:-

They have tails which extend through space in three dimensions and which
undergo significant changes night-to-night. Their elliptical orbits often
bring them close to the Earth, and especially close to the Sun. That not
only kicks off all manner of unusual phenomena but also represent an
observing challenge as we have to box clever when observing them at low
solar elongations. Getting the most out of deep sky observing requires
attention to detail and the same is true of comets. But deep-sky stuff
usually has an infinitely long observing window or one that can be revisted
time after time, whereas the drama that is this comet has been unfolding
over days and weeks, never to be repeated, and so that makes it particularly
amenable and interesting to study. Near-Earth asteroids on the other hand
usually have a fleeting window of opportunity and can be gone in a day or
two.

If I get another chance of picking up C/2011 L4 in a properly clear sky, I
know exactly how I will try to observe it, hitting  it hard by windowing
down the CCDs on my two scopes to take as many images as possible during
late twilight before it disappears behind a badly-positioned tree.  Nothing
like the thrill of the chase.

Here's to some clear skies then,
Richard