[BAA Comets] Camera time-stamps for astrometry

Graham Relf gr at grelf.net
Mon May 20 12:29:08 BST 2013

Listening to Roger's talk on Saturday encouraging us all to measure our
comet images I suddenly realised that I did not know for sure when my
camera creates the time-stamp for each image. I had assumed it was at
the end of the exposure when the file is created for the data to be
saved into. I have just done an experiment which reveals that my
assumption was wrong.
My Canon DSLR in fact records the date and time of the beginning of the
exposure.
For comets I always stack either 32s or 64s exposures (the latter
controlled by APT software). So in my case, for reporting astrometric
results for each image I need to ADD half the exposure time to the
camera's time-stamp (rather than subtracting, as I had assumed).
I determined this by first taking a 30s (manual) exposure then turning
the dial as quickly as possible to 1" and taking another one. The
interval between the time stamps was 38s. So it had taken me 6s to
adjust the dial (30" by the dial is in fact a 32s exposure. I have
previously timed that. That's nearly a 7% difference but camera makers
stick to conventional dial marks despite shutters being more accurately
controllable now).
So do you know what happens in your camera? Does it store the start time
or the finish time? You need to know that for accurate astrometry.
Are we aiming for 1s accuracy?
I wonder how many MPC reports have the time wrong by up to a minute or
so, depending on exposure length?
Or do they correct the time knowing what each camera does? I think that
is very unlikely but if so my reasoning above would be redundant. Can
anyone tell me about this?

Graham