[BAA Comets] Camera time stamps for astrometry

Graham Relf gr at grelf.net
Fri May 24 18:05:48 BST 2013

On 24/05/2013 17:02, Roger Dymock wrote:
> On Canon DSLRs with Live View the correct time can be set using the Remote Live View
> Shooting facility (at least it can for my EOS550D). To do so;
> - open EOS Utility
> - select Camera settings/Remote shooting
> - in the EOS550D window select Set-up menu (tools icon)
> - select Date/Time
> - in the Date/Time Setting window select Always match computer time, From PC and OK
>
> Regards
>
> Roger Dymock
> Email: roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
> Tel: 023 92647986
> Skype: rogerdymock67 or
> Skype: rjvdymock
> MPC Observatory Code: 940
> Project Alcock http://www.britastro.org/projectalcock/

Also, APT (AstroPhotography Tool) which I use for controlling sequence
acquisition via USB sets the camera's clock. The thing to watch out for
though is that it uses the local time zone. Here in the UK now that's
BST, not UT. An option has been added to APT at my request for switching
off this time-setting if it is not required.

I find APT to be very good. It does very much more than Canon's free
remote capture program(EOS Utility) and it displays in red on black for
observatory use. It's only about 12 euros from
http://www.ideiki.com/astro/ and the developer has been very responsive
to some suggestions I made.

Graham