[BAA Comets] [comets-ml] is there any value in visual drawings of comets

JS & EJ Gifford jamesgifford at bigpond.com
Mon Nov 4 02:27:21 GMT 2013

When P1 McNaught went through in 2007 I possibly had the best continuous
view of all observers as the tail developed over several days, others
having problems with cloud, smoke etc.. Not having a suitable camera I
made a point of taking a star chart to the observing site each night and
sketching on it the tail as I saw it. These sketches are still in the
photo section of this group (comets-ml) as P1 Tailcharts at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/comets-ml/photos/album/95739289/pic/list
I did not attempt to sketch any detail , this was well covered at the
time by photographers, the aim was to leave a record, initially just for
my own use, of the extent of the tail shown accurately against the star
background such that rather than making statements from memory that this
or that was 30 degrees long or  wide or whatever the measurement could
still be made any time after the event, and still can for anyone
interested. I was not chasing any records for the biggest, brightest etc
but was recording simply what I could see each night from the same
location in southwestern Australia. The one caveat is that having made
the decision to create this record the first chart, for the 19th
January, was drawn from memory on returning home that night. At the time
no-one knew quite what we were in for over the next few days, as with
all comets, and personally I am very pleased that I took the time to
make these sketches, which refresh my my failing memory and leave a
permanent and accurate account of the unfolding tail of the greatest
comet I have seen.
Regards,   Jim Gifford
Bridgetown, Western Australia.