[BAA Comets] C/2012 S1 IMAGE tail bifurcation?

DENIS BUCZYNSKI buczynski8166 at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 6 05:59:51 GMT 2013

Hello all,
I imaged this comet an hour ago and suspected that there was a broadening of the tail and a possible bifurcation seen after 5 arc mins of the tail length with a portion seen to the south and the west. On individual frames watched as the images were taken this tail structure was present on all images. The observing conditons were not perfect, there was hazy thin cloud present, but I tried to bring out this detail in the stack of 10x60s frames. The image is at this link below.

http://britastro.org/baa/index.php?view=detail&id=1835&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=200

I hope I am not crying wolf here, but I honestly believe that there has been some development of the tail stucture of this comet today. It will be interesting if other images from telescopes in better locations and conditions show this feature to be real,

Denis Buczynski