[BAA Comets] Use of light pollution filters

Shanklin, Jonathan D. jdsh at bas.ac.uk
Thu Nov 14 14:33:55 GMT 2013

Filters are very much discouraged for visual magnitude estimates.  Given that each electronic device is different consistency would be increased if a V filter is used, but I would rather have some reduced photometry submitted than none because you don't have a filter.  If an LPR filter is effectively minus Sodium you will be loosing significant information, particularly in the case of 2012 S1, where Sodium emission may become significant.  In general LPR filters may be fine for pretty pictures, but not so good for scientific study.

Jonathan Shanklin,
Director