[BAA Comets] C/2012 S1 (ISON) this morning

DENIS BUCZYNSKI buczynski8166 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 19 11:03:22 GMT 2013

Hi Andrew,
Great report of this mornings viewing. Glad you could see in the comet binocs. At least it is still in exsistence.I think that the combination of the heavy extinction at low altitude, the bright moonlight and encroaching dawn, alongside the still small coma diameter of ISON makes the comet look much less impressive than Lovejoy (at the moment). If it was possible to see ISON at the same altitude as Lovejoy it would look a whole lot different to the eye. There may not be many more views before it is in the glare of the Sun at perihelion, so yours was a precious view as was Nick's image. I know we all want a brilliant comet blazingly bright in the dawn and dusk skies, and the later may yet happen for us. Just to be able to witness what is actually happpening to the comet, no matter how great or apparently feeble, is fantastic and the part of the whole esssence of why we enjoy our persuit of astronomy as a way of life, not just a hobby that can be picked up
 and put down at will. Our obsessive behaviour is rewarded with views of Nature at its grandest. Keep up the morning vigil, by Xmas we may well have been rewarded.
Best wishes
Denis