[BAA Comets] 154P/Brewington

Andrew Robertson alphacentauri at tesco.net
Tue Nov 19 20:17:29 GMT 2013

Well chaps, contrary to the forecast it was clear when I looked out at 6pm
and with the moon having risen only half an hour earlier it was still
relatively dark. So out with the 15 x 70 bins to see if I could see
Brewington. Momentarily I thought I could see it but then realised I was
mistaken. Not much time with that moon getting higher and brighter so I set
my Intes 127mm Mak-Cass up on the rear patio on an alt-az mount. I was
confident I'd identified where it should be but with a 32mm e/p giving x40 -
nothing. A 22mm panoptic giving x58 and still negative except a couple of
times I thought I saw something at the same location. 15mm Panoptic giving
x85 to darken the sky more but fighting a losing battle as that moon was
getting higher (6.45pm now), then moving the scope around the area I
detected a faint glow extreme averted vision. Moving the scope around I kept
coming to the same position. Whilst not consistent - I was probably getting
it less than 50% of the time I was confident I was picking up an extended
(not a faint star) glow with AV. Well pleased, soon afterwards the moon got
brighter and cloud came in. Must have another go soon with less moon and
more aperture.

Andrew