[BAA Comets] C/2012 X1 image from October 29

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 29 08:28:11 GMT 2013

Hi Denis and Nick,

If between you you can manage a high SNR result tomorrow that would be very
helpful. Interesting to see the evolution as it reverts back to a comet with
a normal tail.

In the case of 17P/Holmes, it took 7 days or so for a new tail to begin to
appear - the delay most likely due to a slow rotation rate of its nucleus. I
recently analysed some HST images of 17P that I had not known about
previously - these have provided extra evidence for slow rotation of Holmes
and a possible two-axis rotation state along the lines of Halley - Does the
nucleus of C/2012 X1 have an anomalously slow rotation rate and/or tumbling
rotation, I wonder?

Richard Miles