[BAA Comets] C/2012 X1 image from October 29

Andrew Robertson alphacentauri at tesco.net
Tue Oct 29 08:52:45 GMT 2013

Morning Nick,

Another ecellent picture.

I managed a view of it visually this morning with my 12" Mewlon using a 40mm
Pentax e/p giving x90. It was quite easy, large and diffuse with the bright
stellar core obvious. But I nearly missed it, bit of a 'hare and tortoise'
scenario. Thought I'd have a look at the other comets first with the
intention of getting on X1 at 0440 (highest in a dark sky still). Lovejoy
was very prominent, could see it easily in my 4" apo at low power. Comet
filter improved the view in the Mewlon. Ison was easier than when I observed
it in the 18" at Kelling but nothing to get excited about, filter made it
worse. Couldn't get Encke for some reason! Was about to give up and go for
X1 when I had a technical hitch and just about made it, getting my first
visual of X1 at 0455 hrs. Skies were very claggy, mag 5 at best and that was
before the moon rose.

Going down to Haw Wood, Hinton with the 24" tonight so hoping for a better
view then.

Andrew