[BAA Comets] Comet 2012 S1 (ISON)

Shanklin, Jonathan D. jdsh at bas.ac.uk
Tue Sep 3 18:11:35 BST 2013

Although there is discussion on the comets-ml of the veracity of some recent visual observations of 2012 S1 (ISON), there is no reason why all of the observers should not be correct.  We must remember that each eye is different, and will therefore see objects differently.  Some observers see comets fainter than others observers, perhaps because of different spectral sensitivity or different visual acuity, not to mention different observing conditions.

The recovery observation that I've received does reduce the error bars on the magnitude equation.  Previously the peak magnitude was essentially unconstrained, now there is a possible range of perhaps 20 magnitudes!  The indications are that the comet may get brighter than Venus at perihelion, but this is by no means certain.

I would welcome further visual and electronic observations in ICQ format.  The comet will soon be in view in the morning sky for UK based visual observers.

Jonathan Shanklin
Director