[BAA Comets] BAA comet image archive

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Wed Apr 9 21:11:53 BST 2014

The BAA/TA comet image archive here:

http://www.britastro.org/cometobs/

has been growing rapidly and now contains 7935 images. It is fairly
comprehensive from 2000 onwards but has little material prior to that.
Both Denis and I would like to increase the number of historical images
in the archive but we recognise that many images prior to 2000 are
likely to be in non-digital forms (i.e. prints or negatives).

If you have access to any historical collections of comet images (either
your own or those of others) and are willing to scan the best ones we
would be interested in hearing from you. The BAA Journal also contains a
number of high quality comet images and it would be good to get the best
of these scanned in high quality and put in the archive.

The oldest image we currently have in the archive is the 1949 discovery
plate of Comet C/1949 N1 (Bappu-Bok-Newkirk) which was provided by Amar
Sharma:

http://www.britastro.org/cometobs/1949n1/1949n1_19490702_bappu.html

It would be nice to have even earlier material if it is of good quality
although we will probably draw the line at woodcuts and tapestry! Scans
of drawings are welcome too

If you think you can help please post to this list or contact us
privately on cometobs at britastro.org.

Thanks,