[BAA Comets] C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy)

ndj ndj at nickdjames.com
Tue Dec 30 19:59:23 GMT 2014

I hope that all comet observers are getting a chance to observe this
nice object. It is now observable from the UK and nice images are coming
in although these are not yet matching the images from remote telescopes
in Australia. The Moon will be a problem for the next couple of weeks so
some of the best UK images will probably start appearing in mid January.

The BAA is updating the image archive daily and there are now almost 100
images available from all over the world. You should regularly have a
look at the page:

http://www.britastro.org/cometobs/2014q2/

If you are a BAA member it is best to be logged in to the site since you
will see updates earlier. This is because our pages are served to logged
in members without having to wait for the normal cache updates.

I've been observing the comet using the iTelescope telescopes at Siding
Spring, particularly the T12 instrument that has a 3.9x2.6 deg FoV. It's
interesting to compare the tail on Dec 19th and today in these two images:

http://www.britastro.org/cometobs/2014q2/2014q2_20141219_ndj.jpg
http://www.britastro.org/cometobs/2014q2/2014q2_20141230_1433_ndj.jpg

I've also imaged the comet from the UK using a Megrez 72 and Canon 600D
DSLR:

http://www.britastro.org/cometobs/2014q2/2014q2_20141228_2232_ndj.jpg

This image is nothing like the quality of the remote images but I feel
much more "ownership" of it and expect to get a lot better later in
January. I've also seen the comet in 10x50 bins despite the low altitude
and light pollution. It was surprisingly easy and, if you haven't looked
yet, it is worth a try. Interestingly I also imaged the comet from here
yesterday night and despite what appeared to be better conditions the
ion tail appears much fainter.

As always, please submit your observations to cometobs at britastro.org.
Denis Buczynski is doing a great job of updating the archive but please
help us by using the correct filename format, i.e.:

2014q2_20141228_2232_ndj.jpg

where "20141228_2232" is the date and time and "ndj" is the observer name.

Very many thanks to Terry for finding yet another nice object.