[BAA Comets] 29P S-W 1: Predictions update (was possible start of outburst ?)

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 27 11:39:04 GMT 2014

Good morning, Jean-François / Jean-Gabriel,

Since my earlier alert I have finished my analysis of 29P's outburst
behaviour having found something unexpected in the meantime, which has
changed things a little. The job is now finished and it is only now a matter
of writing the results up for publication!

The outbursts from each active site are subject to a stochastic process and
usually require several revolutions before they can re-outburst.
That means any one prediction may or may not happen. However, the timing
accuracy of a prediction is now better at +/-2.5 days.
I can also estimate how strong an outburst will happen - not sure how good
this part of the prediction is.

Each active site has a different probability of outburst, so here are my
finished predictions:

2014 Feb 27.6  (15% strong)
2014 Mar 11.5  (5% very weak)
2014 Mar 22.0  (2% weak)
2014 Mar 28.5 (25% strong)

So there you have it.

Although any one site may not go into outburst it may be possible to detect
some low level of activity around these dates.
My definition of an outburst used in the analysis is a brightness increase
of 2 magnitudes or more: that is with a measuring aperture of 10 arcsec
across or thereabouts.

Cheers,
Richard Miles
British Astronomical Association