[BAA Comets] C/2014 A4 (SONEAR) / Comet searching from the UK

Cristovao Jacques cjacqueslf at yahoo.com.br
Sat Jan 18 00:08:20 GMT 2014

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your words. I really miss the meeting in Austria. It was great.
I also wish success for your comet search program in UK.

Best regards,
Cristovao

Em Sexta-feira, 17 de Janeiro de 2014 19:07, Richard Miles <rmiles.btee at btinternet.com> escreveu:

First my congratulations to Cristóvão Jacques and his colleagues, Eduardo
Pimentel, and João Ribeiro de Barros on their comet discovery: one of only a
few to have been made from Brazil. It is always useful for other comet
hunters to read of successful exploits such as this first amateur discovery
of 2014.

I well remember getting to know
 Cristóvão Jacques at the Meeting on
Asteroids and Comets in Europe (MACE 2006) held in Vienna that year
http://www.astrometrica.at/MACE/ . I could see that it would be only a
matter of time before discoveries would be coming his way. He and his
colleagues have worked hard in setting up their observatory so it is fitting
that they have been rewarded with their first success.

I should add that my own comet survey came to an abrupt halt last August
when my mount failed. Up until that point I had completed 53 searches: the
first one was completed on 2011 January 28. Weather is the main limitation
in the UK. The survey I conducted was restricted to solar elongations in the
range, 35-60 degrees in the evening sky where there are very few asteroids
to be seen. Peter Birtwhistle also attended the MACE 2006 (we being the only
representatives from
 the UK despite English being the official language of
the meeting!). On the plane back, he and I discussed comet searching from
the UK and concluded that our best chances of success are to plumb areas low
in the northern sky during the summer months of May-August. So if there's
anyone contemplating this, do have a go and keep us all posted on your
progress.

During my survey from Dorset (comprising ~105 hr of imaging, 4,300 frames
covering a total searched area of about 11,400 sq.deg. down to 15th mag
incl.) I came across 4 different comets, all of which were already known.
These were:

C/2009 P1 on 2011 Nov 6
78P on 2012 Mar 25
C/2011 UF305 on 2012 Jul 20, and on 2012 July 28 (different field)
C/2012 J1 on 2013 Mar 02
plus the Chandra X-ray Observatory on 2012 Jul 20

Please someone, do feel free to participate in searching for comets from the
UK. It's good fun and a change from the
 usual observing routine.

Martin Mobberley's book, "Hunting and Imaging Comets" is well worth
devouring up front of any attempt to discover a comet. See:
http://www.springer.com/astronomy/astronomy,+observations+and+techniques/book/978-1-4419-6904-0

Cheers,
Richard Miles