[BAA Comets] Some questions on working towards ICQ report

Roger Dymock roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 29 10:07:13 BST 2014

Hi Tony,

Answers to your questions (feel free to ask more at any time).

1) If the tail goes off the edge of the image you measure from head of comet to the edge and record
that distance using the 'greater than' (>) symbol in COBS.

2) Can't help you there so I suggest you contact Julio Castellano at orodeno2 at yahoo.es (for any
FoCAs problems). You could also try the mailing list at
https://es.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Cometas_Obs/info

3) You are correct in what you say but I use a single image which seems to give similar results to
others. Richard Miles has shown that the longer the exposure the larger the coma. I will have a look
at mine sometime to see what difference it makes.

4a) ICQ code is not the same as the MPC code. For ICQ code I suggest you use, as COBS registration
page mentions and you stated, first three letters of surname plus xx.

4b) The ICQ code for CCD images using a red filter is lower case k. See
http://www.icq.eps.harvard.edu/ICQKeys.html for all relevant codes.

4c) You should reference the catalogue you use for photometry in the ICQ/COBS report. For MPC
reports I show the catalogue used for photometry in a COM line as below. The astrometry catalogue is
automatically included above the observation lines.

COD G68
OBS R.Dymock
MEA R.Dymock
TEL 0.61-m f/10 reflector + CCD
AC2 roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
ACK G68_2014_02_27-1
COM CMC-14 used for photometry

NET UCAC-4

0052P         C2014 02 25.11478 05 04 19.79 +32 59 34.5          16.0 N      G68
0052P         C2014 02 25.12170 05 04 20.62 +32 59 31.7          16.0 N      G68
0052P         C2014 02 25.12865 05 04 21.45 +32 59 28.9          16.0 N      G68

I understand an observation to be a single visual observation of an object or a single CCD, or
stacked, image of same but it's not a question I have been asked before so someone may correct me on
that.

When you have worked through the total procedure I will update it with any points your have raised
which need clarifying.

Regards

Roger Dymock
Email: roger.dymock at ntlworld.com