[BAA Comets] 17P/ Holmes - possible outburst

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 30 12:56:57 BST 2014

Many thanks for highlighting this observation Chris.

Some quick facts:
The orbital period of 17P/Holmes is ~6.9 years.
It reached perihelion on 2014 Mar 27.5.

It is therefore currently some 4 months post-perihelion and just 6 weeks
away from reaching the same point in its orbit as its super-outburst of
2007.

The parallel with its 1892 discovery outburst is even closer. That outburst
occurred when the comet was just ~10 days further along in its orbit than
your observation time on this occasion (2014 July 29.75) indicates.

Observers are strongly urged to carry out follow-up observations!

Richard Miles
BAA

For the record:
Orbital positions (true anomaly angle)