[BAA Comets] [comets-ml] 17P/ Holmes - possible outburst

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 30 21:59:11 BST 2014

Not a problem Chris.

At least it serves as an alert to observers to keep a close watch for a
possible outburst of 17P over the next month or two. There is a significant
chance of an outburst during this time interval when the comet nucleus will
experience increasingly cooler maximum daytime temperatures whilst it
recedes from perihelion.

Alan Hale has already commented that 17P may have had at least a small
outburst when he was observing it back in early June. Outbursts of less than
1 mag were clearly detected back in 2009 and in 2012, and so it is likely
that the nucleus is prone to undergo small outbursts, most of which may have
been missed in the past. Observers should therefore keep a close watch for
the signs of any outbursts such as condensed coma, or a significant
brightening of the nuclear magnitude.

Good luck,
Richard Miles
BAA

P.S. In reporting photometry, in the interest of standardisation /precision,
can observers please report the nuclear magnitude using a photometric
aperture having a diameter as close to 11 arcseconds as possible, and also
use R magnitudes from the UCAC4 catalogue as reference? That catalogue
incorporates the AAVSO APASS photometry, which makes it significantly more
accurate than most other astrometric/photometric catalogues.