[BAA Comets] New BAA comet image archive

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Tue Mar 18 08:01:10 GMT 2014

Morning all,

Denis Buczynski and I have been working on a new comet image archive for
the section. This replaces the old picture gallery that was withdrawn
when the BAA changed to its new website. This is currently a work in
progress but it is now available here:

http://www.britastro.org/cometobs/

The basic links in the database are generated automatically from the
observation filename which must be of the form:

object_date_observer.jpg

or

object_date_time_observer.jpg

Additional information for each image comes from a text file with the
same name but the extension *txt.

In the filename the individual fields are:

- object is the object's name (without any preceeding letter), i.e. 27p
or 2013v2.

- date is the date in the form YYYYMMDD, i.e. 20140317

- time is the time in the form HHMM or HHMMSS.

- observer is an observer code. We will allocate these but for now, if
you can find an image of yours in the database and it has a full name in
the "Observer" field use that. If not, contact cometobs at britastro.org to
be allocated a code.

There are lots of files in the archive that don't conform to this and we
are currently working to clean these up but this will take some time.

Please continue to submit your images to cometobs at britastro.org but
please try to use the filenaming format above. Anything else adds
considerably to the workload of the database administrator (Denis
Buczynski) and he has more than enough to do observing from probably the
best site in the UK.